JOB TITLE: On-Air Talent/Content Creator/Special Projects Producer
REPORTS TO: Station Manager
FLSA STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
As On-Air Talent/Content Creator, this position is responsible for preparing and executing a daily, three (3) hour show from 6 pm until 9 pm (CST), Monday through Friday. This position also includes regular online content creation responsibilities. This role is responsible for the production and reporting of special projects. While this position’s off-air schedule may be flexible, a typical workday will maintain the hours of Monday through Friday, 2 pm until 9 pm (CST).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES – ON-AIR PERSONALITY/CONTENT CREATOR
· Host a live, daily program from 6 pm until 9 pm (CST), Monday through Thursday, and Friday from 7 pm until 9 pm (CST).
· Host special programming as requested by the Station Manager (i.e. The Local, Live from Studio A, or specific Special Presentations as determined quarterly).
· Plan and coordinate the daily show topics and book guests as needed. This music-centered program should focus on timely, newsworthy, or trending subject matter. The host should feel comfortable interviewing an artist in one segment and presenting interesting, factual information about the music we play in the next.
· Produce a daily promo, briefly outlining the next day’s program to air in other dayparts.
· Plan, write and narrate two (2) YouTube videos per month. These videos may be 5 to 10 minutes in length and may be either original content focusing on an artist the station plays (i.e., Artist biographies, interesting music-related stories, etc.) or a pre-arranged interview with a national artist relevant to the radio station’s format.
· Contribute to one (1) Special Project video per quarter. This is to be a 10-minute segment related to the chosen subject matter which will, in turn, become part of a full 40-minute video.
· Contribute one (1) website article per day. This may be a piece regarding a local, community event or an article relating to music content as determined by the host.
· Contribute one (1) music review per week to the station’s website. This will be, preferably a review of an upcoming relevant release but it may also be a “retro review”, spotlighting a previously released but, perhaps, underrated album.
· Attend all required weekly/monthly meetings as directed by the Station Manager.
· Make in-person appearances and carry out remote broadcasts as directed by the Station Manager.
· Participate in television broadcasts as requested by the Television Programming department.
· Participate in all radio station promotions as directed by the Station Manager.
REQUIRED SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE – ON AIR PERSONALITY/CONTENT CREATOR
· Possess a love of current Indie and Alternative music as well as an exceptional knowledge of pop music history. Experts in specific musical genres are encouraged to apply.
· Maintain expert-level knowledge of PlayoutONE, the station’s digital library/automation system.
· Ability to multi‐task with proficient time management skills.
· Work in compliance with Company policies and procedures as well as FCC guidelines.
· Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
· An understanding of The North’s target audience and membership demographic.
· Possess a strong desire to support diverse artists and the communities we serve.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES – SPECIAL PROJECTS PRODUCER
· Work with the Station Manager to propose, plan and storyboard quarterly special projects.
· Upon project approval, assist the Station Manager in scheduling workflow, hosts, and arranging for any needed Contract Employees. Work closely with the Station Manager to maintain each project’s budget in accordance with state funding requirements.
· Assist the Station Manager and Business Manager in maintaining an accurate tabulation of all hours accrued in the production of each Special Project via Airtable.
· Arrange and schedule interviews with appropriate guests for Special Projects. Assign on-air talent to conduct these interviews as needed.
· Arrange, schedule, and assign any on-location recording sessions needed for Special Projects.
· Work closely with the radio station’s Television department to arrange for studio schedules, artists, and guest appearances. Additionally, oversee the editing process of all Special Projects video components with assistance and direction from the Television Production team.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – ON AIR TALENT/SPECIAL PROJECTS PRODUCER
· High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
· 2 years of on-air and radio production experience.
· Reliable transportation with a valid state-issued Driver’s License.
· Ability to arrive to work on time and work a consistent work week.
· A professional appearance and demeanor with the ability to deal courteously and diplomatically with the public both internal and external, on the phone and in person.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-performing environment and appropriately interface with similar executives at other non‐profits and corporations as well as music and entertainment industry professionals.
· Dependable, trustworthy, and responsible team player, well organized, detailed, and shows initiative, ability to multi‐task with flexibility and openness to various duties.
· Ability to demonstrate patience, compassion, and understanding toward our members, listeners, and communities.
· Serve enthusiastically as one of the primary ambassadors of our organization in this public-facing position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS – ON AIR PERSONALITY/SPECIAL PROJECTS COORDINATOR
· Must be able to lift at least 30 lbs. without assistance and work consistently for hours while sitting down.
WDSE-FM IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe that our staff should reflect the diversity of the communities in which we live in order to achieve a future that is socially just, culturally rich, and ecologically restorative. We are committed to hiring and advancing staff that represents voices from traditionally underrepresented populations.
Commensurate with experience. WDSE-FM offers a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Please submit a resume, aircheck, social media samples, and cover letter to: email@example.com
WDSE-FM is an equal-opportunity employer. WDSE-FM does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.