NorCal is currently seeking a Director of Technology to serve as the Chief Engineer for Broadcast, overseeing IT and leading the strategic mission of the engineering and IT departments. Reporting to the CEO, the ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with strong project management and communication skills. The Director of Technology will help define and implement organizational and technological strategies, and be responsible for two television stations (one PBS and one independent Public Media station) transmitting from Sutro Tower, and an FM radio station with multiple transmitters in Sonoma County, CA.
Beginning in early 2024, NorCal will commence an extensive build-out of a nearby 24,000 sq. ft. facility for its new administrative and broadcast headquarters. Project planning, budget management and implementation oversight for this exciting move will be a high priority.
**Bilingual Spanish speakers, veterans, and former military are highly encouraged to apply.
· Oversee the maintenance and repairs of the studios (FM & TV), transmitters, telephone systems, IT infrastructure, and ancillary systems, including HVAC, networking, electrical, generators, and mechanical
· Manage the relationship and projects with our IT MSP
· Deep experience and training in broadcast engineering, compliance, and broadcast facility management
· Expert contemporary knowledge in Broadcast, IT, Digital, and Automation Technologies, including Design, Integration/Commissioning, Maintenance, and Project Management. This includes TV & FM Broadcast systems (encoders, STLs, transmitters), plus computer-based Video and Audio Production and playout/storage systems
· Responsible for compliance reporting for all the above, including EAS systems
· Strong management, communication, analytical, design, and planning skills
· Provide timely updates on technology and engineering issues to CEO/COO
· Five years minimum of Broadcast Engineering Management experience, ideally including TV & FM studios, RF Systems, VoIP telecom and digital mass-storage systems
· A collaborative and professional leadership approach that fosters teamwork and innovation
· Ability to recognize and identify opportunities (and/or challenges), so as to enable development of targeted strategies to drive growth and performance improvements
· Experience managing budgeting processes and strategic planning
· Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technical area or Business, or equivalent experience managing local television station broadcast operations and engineering staff
· Able to be on-call after hours for emergencies or routine maintenance as needed
· Must possess a valid driver’s license and current vehicle insurance
· Other duties as assigned by station management
What we offer:
This is a full-time, exempt position, with a base salary of $110K. NorCal offers exceptional benefits: medical, dental, vision, 403B plan, paid vacation, paid holidays, floating holidays, and employee assistance program.
How to apply:
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “DOT— TV.”
This is an on-site role that requires the Director of Technology to work at our Rohnert Park, California office.
NorCal is an equal opportunity employer and is mindful of the importance of the reflection of our community’s diversity in our work and workforce. To support diversity, the Board of Directors commits to making all reasonable efforts to have our workforce, especially in our management team, reflect that community diversity. The past few years have seen good progress in this direction with the addition of members from the LGTBQ+ community, bilingual and bicultural staff members, African American staffers, and the continuing strength of women in management positions. In order to continue this success, Northern California Public Media commits to participate in minority and other diversity job and opportunity fairs.
For more information on NorCal visit us at www.norcalpublicmedia.org