The General Manager is responsible and accountable for overall administration, personnel, programming, finance, technical operations, and public relations of the station. Working in collaboration with the largely volunteer staff, the Local Station Board, volunteers and the community, the General Manager is responsible for monitoring progress against goals by analyzing monthly results, developing periodic forecasts and pipelines, providing progress reports, and ensuring accurate tracking and follow-up on each initiative.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelors in broadcasting, business or similar education preferred• 5+ years of management required, 5+ years of radio station management preferred Reports To: Pacifica Foundation Executive DirectorCollaborates With: Local Station BoardJOB SPECIFICATIONS Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:Managerial
• Supervise all staff, paid and unpaid, through regular meetings and reviews (paid staff), attending contract negotiations, and handling grievances. Follow all Pacifica procedures, and State and Federal laws, regarding employment processing, recruitment and selection, hiring, termination and other personnel actions and follow the Pacifica Foundation employment policies and procedures.
• Ensure membership and staff lists are up to date and include at least name, address, phone number, email address, and emergency contact information (staff).
• Report to the Pacifica National Board (PNB) quarterly on the status of diversity of station staffing, programming and audience (data permitting) within the radio station areas.
• Ensure all fund drives are organized, publicized, staffed, and premiums are sent out in a timely manner.
• Serve as a non-voting member of the Local Station Board, attending all meetings.
• Maintain compliance through completing necessary public filed reports, annual CPB station activity surveys, FCC license renewal applications, EEO mandates, charity registration, OSHA regulations, or other necessary local, state, and federal filings.
• Manage media relations for the station and represent KPFT and Pacifica at public forums.
• Ensure an active social media presence and functioning website for the station.
• Work with Local Elections Supervisor on implementing Pacifica governance election procedures and policies. Communicate and enforce Fair Campaign Provisions to both paid and unpaid staff. Provide office facilities to Local Elections Supervisor.
• Improve gross and net income through quality programming, devising and implementing a plan for fundraising in and outside of the station, budget management, and compliance with Pacifica National Board and Pacifica National Office policies and practices. KPFT GM - Job Description General Manager - Pacifica Radio
• Prepare a draft of the station’s annual budget, as well as reports for revenue and expenses, to present to the KPFT Finance Committee, Local Station Board and the Pacifica National Board.
• Ensure excellent programming that generates listener support, meets community needs, and fulfills the mission of KPFT and the Pacifica Foundation, as well as complies with all relevant foundation policies, requirements, and state and federal laws.
• Oversee technical broadcast operations and program content, delivery, format, and publication of the schedule.
• Select a Program Director from a pool of candidates provided by the Local Station Board, supervise the chosen Program Director to ensure continual improvement in programming content, and, together, present an annual program report to the Executive Director, Local Station Board, and Pacifica National Board.
• Broadcast a one-hour, monthly report to the listeners with at least half the time allotted for call-ins.
• Ensure transmitter function and compliance with all necessary local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
• Ensure maintenance of physical space and equipment.
• Ensure that public safety measures are in place at the station for paid and unpaid staff, volunteers, and visitors.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, & Other Characteristics (KASOCs):
• Knowledge of the development process for non-profit organizations
• Ability to travel within the Greater Houston area on a regular basis
• Ability to manage multiple changing priorities
• Computer literacy, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
• Strong management and leadership skills• Strong communication skills (written and oral)• Strong media industry skills (programming, marketing, fund raising, etc.) Send Applications: KPFTGM2020 at pacifica.orgMust CC to assttoied at pacifica.org
The Pacifica Foundation and KPFT are Equal Opportunity Employers